REVIEW Switched by Amanda Hocking

Switched
by Amanda Hocking
Paperback
St. Martin's Griffin
January 3, 2012
Buy the Book
Buy the eBook

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.


I didn't really know what to expect when I picked up this book.  Ages ago, I'd heard about the Trylle trilogy and was intrigued by the new and different use of supernatural creatures, but then I managed to completely forget about it.  It wasn't until I was several chapters in that I remembered what the Trylles really were.

The Trylle, as they like to be called, are Trolls, and I thought that was a great change from the norm in YA fiction.

Wendy's mother tried to kill her when she was just a little girl, and ever since then, something has always told Wendy that her mother's crazed ramblings were right, that she WASN'T her mother's child.  She just never fit in.  So when Finn, the strange boy who's been following her around, tells her the truth--that she isn't human, she's Trylle--she believes him, but, unlike all the other Trylle teens he has collected and brought back home over the years, she doesn't want to go with him.

That's when she's attacked.  As a way to protect her, Finn takes her back to the Trylle community, and, in order to keep her brother and her aunt out of harms way, Wendy lets him.

And when she gets there, her entire world is turned upside down.

While I really enjoyed this story, I was left floundering a little with the romance that seems to be blossoming between Wendy and Finn...for the most part, I just didn't see it.  Personally, I preferred Rhys, as Wendy's interactions with him seemed more genuine.  Wendy's mother terrified me.  Both of them.

All in all, I think this had a really great premise and was a great lead-in to the trilogy, and the story really picked up the pace as it went on.  By the end, I couldn't wait to see what happened, and now I'm DYING to get my hands on book two, Torn, so I can see what's going to happen next.*grabbyhands*

Happy Reading Everyone!

-geekgirl

P.S.
I've included the trailer below for you to have a look.

Comments