REVIEW Legend by Marie Lu


Legend
by Marie Lu
Hardcover
Putnam Juvenile
November 29, 2011
Buy the Book
Buy the eBook

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias' death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.
I'm not gonna lie, this book broke me a little (two days later and I'm still reeling), which was surprising since when I first picked it up, I didn't make it past the first few pages.  I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

This book is told in alternating points of view.  The first point of view is Day, a teenage boy who has basically become the dystopian equivalent of Robin Hood.  He steals from the rich government to feed and protect the family that thinks he's dead.  He's the most wanted criminal in the state, but, luckily for him, the government has no idea what he looks like.  The problem? His latest mission to steal a plague cure for his baby brother takes a wrong turn, and a soldier ends up dead.

The other point of view is from June, the dead soldier's sister.  She's the government's prodigy, their shining hope for the future. She's the only citizen to achieve a perfect score on their standardized test, EVER, and she's only fifteen and she's already almost ready to be a full-fledged soldier and protector of the state.  She's also the one in charge of hunting down Day after he kills her older brother.

There are so many twists and turns in this novel, so much world-building and incredibly detailed secondary characters.

I don't want to give too much away, because I want you to experience this book for yourself, but just know that things aren't always what they seem in this place, and, as everything falls apart around them, you only love the characters more.

It was wonderful to have two such strong main characters in one novel.  They're completely alike and dissimilar at the same time, and I love how they played off of each other.

I can't wait to see where this series goes next.

So very recommended!

Happy Reading Everyone!

-geekgirl

Comments

  1. I've been seeing this book everywhere. It sounds fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is! It took me more than one shot to get into it, but I'm really glad I did. It's full of action and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment