Cover-Judgers Anonymous (5)

Never judge a book by its cover.

 If you've read my blog, you've probably heard me refer to myself as a shameless cover-judger.  I know, I'm seeking help.  But I don't think I'm the only one out there who does it.

So I invite you, readers, to share your opinion, and maybe we can find a cure for this problem together...or not.

Today, in honor of the recent release of Sarah Dessen's Along for the Ride in paperback, I bring you a comparison of the two (very similar) covers.  I feel nitpicky today.  Please excuse me.

On the left we have the original hardcover image, and on the right we have the the new paperback image.  Pretty much the only things they've changed are the title font size, and color pink to red.

So why on earth was this bothering me so much?

It took me over a week to figure it out.  Yeah, that's how much I think about these things.

If you've read the novel, you'll know that the color pink is a pretty big thing.  Auden has spent her life rebelling against all things feminine, especially pink.  Then, when she decides to spend the summer with her father and her new step-mother, she ends up working in said step-mothers clothing shop, and suddenly is surrounded by all things pink and girlie and revolting to her.

Pink is the color of Auden's growth as a human being over the summer, as she becomes more than just a carbon-copy of her mother.  So her wearing a pink dress on the cover is a pretty big thing.

But maybe I'm just being crazy.  It's Monday.  It's been known to happen.

So what do you think readers?  Which cover to you prefer?  Have you read the book?  Haven't you?  Which do you think fits the story better, or which do you just like better visually?

Help me feel less crazy.

Thanks!

Happy Reading!

-geekgirl

Comments

  1. I like the hardcover better, because it has more color. But, and I'm not sure if its just because of the way the pictures were taken, the red does seem to stand out more and it drew my eye first. Maybe that's why they made the small change.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment