REVIEW The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
by Jennifer E. Smith
Hardcover
Poppy/Little Brown
January 2, 2012
Buy the Book
Buy the eBook



Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.



Okay, this book did everything in its power to make me cry.  I didn't cry, but that was only because I happened to be at work on my break while I was reading it, and I couldn't figure out a way to explain myself without dissolving into emotional handflapping.  So I didn't cry.

But I came as close as I ever have.

This is a love story, but it isn't (if that makes sense).  It's the story of Hadley and Oliver as they meet and start falling for each other, but it's also about Hadley's family.  She's close to falling apart because her father, who had left her and her mother over a year ago, is getting remarried to a woman she's never even met.  She's hurt and abandoned and she wants nothing to do with any of it...except she's stuck being a bridesmaid.  So she's pretty much at her wit's end before she misses her flight to London, and has to wait around for hours for the next one.

And that's when she meets Oliver and they start to bond.

Hadley and Oliver are ADORABLE.  I loved them.  They were so much fun to read, especially the way they played off of each other and got under each others skin.  LOVE.

The thing I loved most about this love story was that, at its heart, it wasn't a love story.  It was a story about Hadley's life changing.  Also, despite the fact that the title is about love at first sight, I don't think that's really what Hadley and Oliver had.  They didn't see each other and instantly swoon.  They bonded. 

Jennifer E Smith, you need to write so many more books so I can nearly-cry at work ALL THE TIME.  Because it was worth it.

Loved this book. 

-geekgirl

Comments

  1. Lots of great reviews for this one - glad you liked it. It's funny how we react differently to books in different settings - movies too. I absolutely sobbed watching Bridge to Terabithia at home, but I probably would have just teared up in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved reading this book. I agree with the whole love story but not love story. There is so much going on with Hadley and her family, but also with Oliver and his family. Hadley and Oliver together were my favorite parts. I loved when Oliver was making Hadley not be afraid of flying with his random comments. The whole story was amazing and I look forward to rereading this story many times in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment