Possession - Elana Johnson

  
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don’t walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn…and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi’s future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.


But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they’re set on convincing Vi to become one of them….starting by brainwashed Zenn. Vi can’t leave Zenn in the Thinkers’ hands, but she’s wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous: everything Zenn’s not. Vi can’t quite trust Jag and can’t quite resist him, but she also can’t give up on Zenn.


This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.



I don't know how to feel about this book.

I think I wanted to like it a lot more than I actually did.

I love dystopian tales, and I liked the backstory of the world of Possession, but it took me forever to actually piece everything together and figure out what was going on. It was really unclear.

I liked the main character Violet a lot, but it seemed like she had no idea what was going on around her. She's sucked into this adventure and she's supposed to be special and instrumental, but it was like she was just dropped there out of nowhere. She grew up in this world, but you wouldn't really know it. There's so little backstory on her as a character that, even though I liked her, I couldn't really connect with her and what she was feeling.

I really liked the romance between her and Jag, but only when Jag was being sweet. He drove me crazy throughout the entire novel.  He swung back and forth between sweet and infuriatingly secretive and closed off so quickly that it gave me whiplash. And he kept getting mad at her. Over things that weren't her fault.  Half of their relationship was him stalking off, pissed at her. It was really hard for me to read.

I really enjoyed the writing itself, but unfortunately Possession just wasn't the book for me.  But, that being said, I'd love to hear what you thought about it.

Let me know in the comments.

Happy Reading Everyone!

-geekgirl

Comments