Weekend Wishlist (11)

Hey everyone!  Happy Saturday!
Do you have a list of books building up in your head (or on your bookshelf), that have been out for awhile, but you've never read, but you keep hoping you will?
Weekend Wishlist is a way for bloggers to share their to-be-read piles with each other, and to remind themselves that, though we all adore the new releases, there are many backlist titles that deserve our love too.
I'm still working out the kinks of this meme, so for now, if you'd like to participate, either leave a link to your WW post in the comments, or email me at gkgrlbk@gmail.com, and I'll add your link below.


Anyway, here's mine!
On a trip to visit his father, 13-year-old Brian is the sole survivor of a plane crash in the Canadian wilderness. With only the clothes on his back and a hatchet he received as parting gift from his mother, Brian begins to shape a life for himself in the wild. 

I've read this before when I was little, of course.  I've actually read the Hatchet series many times.  Every once in a while I get an urge, and suddenly I find myself tracking down all the books and devouring them again.

I've been getting that urge all week, but I've been trying to resist, as there are so many other books I need to read right now.  But seriously, if you haven't read this series, do give it a try.  It's one of the epic loves of my adolescence. The series follows Brian after he survives a plane crash and ends up having to fend for himself in the wilderness with nothing to help him but the hatchet his mother had given him before he left.  (I'm pretty sure this is the origin of my survivalist kick).


The series doesn't follow a definite time-line.  After Hatchet, the series breaks off in two, one going to Brian's Winter, the other going to The River.  The series has a lot of what-ifs, but I'm not going to give them away.  Just know that if you enjoyed Hatchet, you'll probably enjoy the rest of them.  I know I did.





I absolutely adore this series, and I can't wait until I get a chance to pick these books back up.

Happy Reading!
-geekgirl

Comments

  1. Wow! I didn't realize there were so many of them. I love The Hatchet and I remember Brian's Winter being really good too. Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this book is so good! It was my absolute favourite book as a kid until I found Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The River is good too. I haven't read the others but have read a few of his other books and they are good (he was also one of my favourite authors). I should probably put Hatchet on my wishlist as well since I don't have my own copy either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Hatchet when I was in th sixth grade, and I hated it. I think mostly because it strssed me out. When I found out that we were also going to read The River, I was okay with it because there was no way it was going to be as stressful, WRONG! I was a kid and couldn't handle stress. I think I'd do much better now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment