Cover-Judgers Anonymous (2)

Never judge a book by its cover.

 If you've read my blog, you've probably heard me refer to myself as a shameless cover-judger.  I know, I'm seeking help.  But I don't think I'm the only one out there who does it.

So I invite you, readers, to share your opinion, and maybe we can come to a cure to this problem together...or not.

This week's entry is Cryer's Cross (aka The Missing) by Lisa McMann.  Now, I haven't read this one yet, but as I'm going to her signing on Wenesday, I'm totally planning on picking up a copy and devouring it.
Here are the two covers I've come across for this book...the North American cover is on the left, the U.K. (I think...correct me if I'm wrong pls) cover is on the right.


The community of Cryer’s Cross, Montana (population 212) is distraught when high school freshman Tiffany disappears without a trace. Already off-balance due to her OCD, 16-year-old Kendall is freaked out seeing Tiffany’s empty desk in the one-room school house, but somehow life goes on... until Kendall's boyfriend Nico also disappears, and also without a trace. Now the town is in a panic. Alone in her depression and with her OCD at an all-time high, Kendall notices something that connects Nico and Tiffany: they both sat at the same desk. She knows it's crazy, but Kendall finds herself drawn to the desk, dreaming of Nico and wondering if maybe she, too, will disappear...and whether that would be so bad. Then she begins receiving graffiti messages on the desk from someone who can only be Nico. Can he possibly be alive somewhere? Where is he? And how can Kendall help him? The only person who believes her is Jacian, the new guy she finds irritating...and attractive. As Kendall and Jacian grow closer, Kendall digs deeper into Nico's mysterious disappearance only to stumble upon some ugly—and deadly—local history. Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried. - from goodreads.com


So what do you think?  I've got to say, I'm completely torn.  When I first heard about this book, the first thing that grabbed me was the cover, and the one I first encountered was the one on the left. 
It looked so dark and creepy, that I instantly made up my mind that I had to know what this book was about.  But today, I discovered the other cover, the one on the right, and now I'm stumped.  While the one on the left looks all-out-creepy, the one on the right (The Missing) is alluring to me in a completely different way.  The model's beautiful, and it looks like she's frozen in time--like you aren't supposed to know if she's alive or dead, making it terrifying in its own way.

What do you think?  I can't decide, but then, I haven't read this one yet.  Maybe after I do, I'll be able to choose better.

What about you?  What do you think?  Have you read the book?  Which do you think captures the book best?  Or if you haven't, which do you think you'd be more likely to pick up?

Inquiring Cover-Judgers want to know!

Happy Reading!

-geekgirl

Comments

  1. I just bought this the other day because I saw the cover (left) and then liked the description. I'm totally a cover-judger too. But, hey, this is the 21st century. There's no excuse for a bad cover. :) Oh, I haven't read it yet, but I do prefer the US (left) cover. It's creepier to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I just had to delete my previous post because APPARENTLY I don't know my left from my right *is embarrassed* Let's try this again:

    Ooooooo I definitely think the one on the right captures the book best! For some reason, inanimate objects on book covers just don't do it for me. It actually took me a while to even process what is on the US cover.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment