I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore

iamnumberfour
Summary:

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

Review: 

It was the title of this one that caught my attention, and when I learned it was about aliens, I was completely sucked in.  There's isn't too much YA sci-fi out there right now, and I for one really enjoy sci-fi.

That being said, I thought it was a bit strange that the story contained both sci-fi (aliens, spaceships, etc) and what could only be referred to as magic (charms, powers--other than strength and speed and so on, which could totally be alien powers, thanks Superman!).  I thought it was a bit odd, but maybe it will be explained in later books (this is the first in a series).

The story moved at a good pace, and I really liked the main character (aptly named Four, but who currently goes by John Smith...trying to blend in buddy?).  He seemed to be a blend of normal teenage boy, and Superman (except without the need to save everybody all the time).  The other characters seemed a little flat at times--the pretty girl, the jock, the nerd, the mentor, but a lot of the book was more focused on the backstory to what was happenening, and the mythology of Lorien, the planet where Four came from, all of which was very interesting and engaging.

I enjoyed this one a lot, and I'm really looking forward both to the next book in the series, and to the movie that is being made from this one, due out in February.  Definately going to go see that one.  Anyone want to join me?



4 stars!

-geekgirl xoxo

On Amazon.com I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies)
On Goodreads.com I Am Number Four

Comments